|Watching the sunset|
What I did do was enjoy some wonderful time with the Lord, my husband and my kiddos. ( And for a few days, my parents who are in remission from lymphoma and prostate cancers.)
The term vacation actually comes from the Latin word, vacare, which means... (brace yourself), "to be unoccupied." For seven days, I tried to be "unoccupied" by the things that don't really matter. And be occupied by the things that do. After my family continued to ask me,"What's the plan?" on the first day of our so-called vacation, I declared myself, "PLAN-LESS." Let's just sleep until we wake up, eat when we get hungry, go inside when we get hot, and go to bed when we get tired.
The unforced rhythms of grace.
For those of you that fear going plan-less is as exposing as going top-less, you may want to try it. It is freeing, refreshing, and rejuvenating.
This is what going plan-less did for me:
- Helped me to focus on people (little and big), not my to-do list, my laundry, or even my blog.
- Sparked a sense of creativity that resulted in the kind of writing where you put a pen to paper and it flows out of you like a waterfall.
- Clarified my purpose. What am I doing and why am I doing it?
- Exaggerated my blessings. I became overwhelmed by the goodness and the greatness of the Lord.
- Renewed a right spirit within me. We get tired. We grow weary. God provides rest and restoration.
Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly. Mt 11: 28 - 30 MSG
It's a good thing I got some rest. Because I am getting ready to pack up and move! Not from my home, but from this little corner of cyberspace. We'll be having a move-in day party soon... so be sure to watch out for the invitation!
Until then, take some time this holiday week to go plan-less. And see what kind of plan God has...