Friday, August 05, 2011

She Listens... (She Speaks Takeaway Part 2)

If you didn't read my previous post, you might want to do that now.  http://kelliwommack.blogspot.com/2011/08/he-speaks-she-speaks-takeaway-part-one.html  I just don't want you to be reading this and realize that you have been left out of the conversation.  :)  







In the words of my daughter, "Isn't it cool when God speaks like that?"  Yes!  And we know it is Him, when we hear Him speak repetitively through His Word, His people, and circumstances.  We also know it is Him when He calls us to do something that is bigger than us.  In her book, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, Lysa TerKeurst lists a Five Question Filter to know if you are hearing God's voice.  Number four is "Is it beyond me?"  (If you want to know the other five questions, get her book, it is great!)


So, is my call to write and speak bigger than me?  Absolutely!  As I try to sort out why I haven't pursued the writing and speaking more before now, excuses abound.  Not enough time.  Inadequate.  Other things require more of my attention.  I am not as good as others.  No one wants to listen to me or read what I write. I am happy the way things are.  And so on.  (You ever give those same excuses?)  Honestly, all the excuses have one greater source.  FEAR.  I am afraid.  I am afraid of disappointing God.  Afraid of missing the mark.  Afraid of ridicule.  Afraid of rejection.  Afraid of the future.  Afraid of...failure.


"Haven’t I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don’t be timid; don’t get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take.” Joshua 1:9 (Message)


God not only wants us to be bold and courageous, He commands it!  Why?  Because fear is paralyzing.  Fear renders us ineffective for the Lord.  And His perfect love casts out fear!


In a recent journal entry, I wrote, "Fear surfaces all too readily.  It creeps into my thought patterns, affects my body, and my way of life.  Where is my trust?  Do I really trust God?" It pains me to write those words.  It pains me even more to share them with you.  But maybe you experience this when God calls you to do something bigger than you.  So, what do we do?


He Speaks, We Listen.  Our response to His speaking is to listen.  That may sound obvious, but do your children always listen when you speak?  (Thought so.)  We want to learn to listen to the Father's voice over our own voice and the voice of others.  Over the noise and the static.  


The New Oxford American Dictionary says to listen is "to take notice of and act on what someone says."  So listening to God is to realize that He is there speaking and then do what He says!  Many of us listen and we hear Him.  And then we sit...in fear, complacency, disobedience, laziness.  We don't act on what we hear.  


I am listening, God.  I hear You.  Please give me the strength and the courage to obey.  I want to see You do something in my life that is way bigger than me.  


Do you struggle with listening or obedience?  Share your thoughts. I would love to pray for you!  




Unwrap the gift of listening to a God who speaks to us,




Kelli


4 comments:

Bekah Wommack said...

Yes! I'm finally in a post!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Great post, Kelli! I try to ask myself two key questions: 1. Do I really believe God is in control of my life and 2. Do I really believe God is good. If the answer is YES then I 'm in a good place with him. If not, I need to step back and get back into the Word of God. Because the answer should always be YES.

I liked your definition of "hearing" being ACTIVE! How cool is that?!?!?! I will share this with my kids!

Kelli Williams Wommack said...

Thanks Sonya. Love your added insight.

glorygirl said...

Kelli, yes! Recently, I had prayed for something specific. God recently answered and, although I heard Him, am struggling to obey....sometimes it's just hard to do what we know He wants us to do. Largely for me, as for you, it's because of fear...
Thanks for the post! It is a good reminder for me that I did, indeed, hear Him :-)