Tuesday, February 14, 2012

When Night and Day Meet...

Happy Valentine's Day, friends!


I knew the morning during our honeymoon when my hubby asked me why I didn't always put the top back on the toothpaste that we were a little different. Solution: Two separate toothpastes.

If you want to know at least TEN more funny ways we are different, go to Keepingitpersonal.com where I am a monthly blog contributor...and today is my day! You won't want to miss reading this list!

That was almost twenty years ago. We have discovered and concluded that we are as different as night and day. 
Sunion, Greece at sunset

I spoke at our church's marriage retreat last year on personalities. Yes, I am an expert. :)  At the end of the retreat, I had a friend tell me that she and her husband were as different as night and day as well. She told me that really bothered her until God gave her a picture. The vision was not how different night and day were, but instead what happens when night and day meet. When night meets day, a beautiful, breathtaking sunrise occurs. And what happens when day meets night? A mesmerizing, magnificent sunset takes place. 


I love that picture! And I can honestly say that despite our differences in personality, I love my man more today than I did the day I met him. (By the way, he is my #1 fan. He always reads my blog posts, even though he doesn't ever comment. I am not sure he would know how.)

God has a plan...and a sense of humor. I am convinced that God gives us people in our lives (especially our spouses) to soften our edges, to make us less self-centered, to learn to love.  God can actually use others to deliver us from ourselves and our selfishness! 

“Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have. Love doesn’t strut, Doesn’t have a swelled head, Doesn’t force itself on others, Isn’t always “me first,” Doesn’t fly off the handle, Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others, Doesn’t revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end.” 1 Corinthians 13: 3 – 7 (MSG)"

Do you have someone in your life that is so very different from you? Perhaps God wants to use that relationship to create something beautiful in your life. I would love to hear your thoughts today. If you are reading by email, comment here.

This is a continuation of my love list today. Don't forget to acknowledge people that you love today as well!

Living for ONE,


Kelli



Linked with Jenn at 

and with Courtney at 

5 comments:

Sharita Knobloch said...

Fantastic post, Kelli! I am not much of a person for romance (ish), but I thank God everyday for blessing me with my husband. He might sometimes drive me crazy but I am always crazy about him!

I love our differences, even if he has "boxes" in his head (aka, army box, sleep box, food box, wife box) and my brain is a like a big ball of spaghetti: everything is connected.

God is so good to make such a beautiful picture out of man and woman!

Leslie said...

I was astounded early in my marriage when I realized that the very things that attracted me to him-- how different he was from me-- were now the very things driving me CRAZY! Thank God we have come a long way in 20 years. I wouldn't trade any of it, even the hard parts.

Jason tells young couples when he counsels them that there was a time when he thought he would be miserable for the rest of his life because we didn't believe in divorce. But it got better! SOOOOO much better! So he tells them to just hold on!

Leslie

robin k said...

Viva la difference!
This week, reading about creation, I noticed all the mentions of 'every sort, all kinds, all varieties, species' and they were all declared 'good' or 'very good!' I praise God for the beautiful fruit that's come out of the union of you two very different people!

Unknown said...

I love that image -- where night and day meet. It gives me a new perspective on the relationship I have with my husband.

Okay, I know I probably missed it, but what did the votes reveal? did you decide on your tagline?

Pamela said...

I love that my husband and I are so different. Where I am weak, he is strong. And I can add my strengths to his weakness. And through it all, God binds us all together. Isn't love beautiful?