Thursday, January 19, 2012

Deny Myself?

Then he (Jesus) said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."

I want to be His disciple.

I want to follow Him.

I want to live and walk with Him.

But deny myself?

... like when I wanted to  did eat that second, yummy, warm brownie that my sweet friend brought to community group.

... or when my child wanted to tell me about his day and I wanted to have my own space and my own quietness.

... how about when Jesus was waiting for me to spend my first moments of the day with Him, and I chose to sleep.

... what about desiring to read anything I can get my hands on - blogs, magazines, great books and in the process I neglect the very Word that speaks life into me.

... and then there's the hoping that God would fix everything in my life that is broken so that I can live comfortably.

I have a lot to learn. I have a lot of self to deny.

“Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat—I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. " Luke 9 (the Message)

Would you join me on this journey? 

Kelli


joining with Joy at
Life: Unmasked

2 comments:

Leslie said...

God spoke to me about this in the prayer time tonight at CCC. It was a rebuke, but it was so gentle.

~Leslie

Kelli Williams Wommack said...

Praise God, that in Him there is no comdemnation...just conviction! Thanks, Leslie.